Le Centre d’Art is a public interest institution founded in 1944. A cradle for Haitian art, it has helped several generations of renowned artists from Hector Hyppolite to Edouard Duval Carrié.
Historically,Le Centre d’Art has simultaneously been an educational center, gallery and reference institution for the promotion of Haitian art. The earthquake on January 12, 2010 severely affectedLe Centre d’Art. After the collapse of the building and the death of its director, the site remained closed for four years.
In November 2014, Le Centre d’Art reopened its doors for its 70th anniversary with a temporary layout. Since then, the institution has started to work once again with the public and artists. We are also working on enhancing the Center’s heritage (collection, archives) and developing a total reorganization project for the future.