History of The Ithacan
The Ithacan is the student newspaper for Ithaca College. Founded in January 1931, it has been a continuously running publication. Its back issues provide a rich historical resource for the College, for its former, current, and future students, and for the larger Ithaca community.
A timeline of The Ithacan is provided by the Ithaca College Quarterly. The earliest paper was titled Once-A-Week and served the Ithaca Conservatory of Music from 1926 through 1930. Its name transition to The Ithacan preceded the name change of the institution by only a few months as the Conservatory became Ithaca College in March 1931.
The Ithacan incorporated as an independent company in 1969 (see "Ithacan Incorporates as Independent Co." from the September 5, 1969 issue). In 1988, The Ithacan became a student newspaper "published by the School of Communications" thus ending the "independent" era.
The Ithacan is an award winning student newspaper:
Search or Browse The Ithacan
The historic issues of The Ithacan are available in these places: